Thursday, May 9, 2013

We need more Charles Ramseys

I've been having a hard time at work lately. I'm grappling to understand a justice system that isn't all that interested in justice, at least where my clients are concerned. I could write an entire post ranting about the way some individuals in law enforcement simply don't care about victims. Not all of them, we do have some excellent folks in our police force in Spartanburg County, but some of the key people that should be working for victims are instead re-victimizing them again by not believing them or blaming them for "putting themselves in that situation".

I'm going to stop before I get worked up. But in the middle of what has turned out to be a difficult week in that respect, Charles Ramsey helped rescue three women who had been thought dead for years. I know that today we look for things in the media to make funny memes out of, but I'm having a hard time appreciating anything that pokes fun at this man or his statements. He is such an ordinary person, but he saw someone in trouble and went out of his way to help her.





In his interview he said he thought it was a domestic violence situation. Do you know how many times that is used as an excuse NOT to get involved? We hear it in our office every day! This helping mentality, this innate response to simply do the right thing is exactly what we need more of in society today. I have so much respect for this man.

Yesterday one of my co-workers shared this video on her facebook wall and it gave me chills. It's a powerful message for all of us. It's so easy to get so involved in our own lives that we don't notice what's going on around us. I know I'm very guilty of it. I hope you'll watch it. It's almost 10 minutes but it's an incredible video.



Has a kind stranger ever made a difference in your life? I love to hear encouraging stories.

4 comments:

holli said...

We DO need more Charles Ramsey's. I have shared a few things about him on my FB but its not to make fun of him. Its to share his exposure for people to know who he is. I hope your day gets better.

Miss Angie said...

I heard today that he actually has several charges of domestic violence on his record, as well as he hasn't ever paid child support... It makes me sad-but at least he did something good here! Good deeds should never go unrecognized!

Sorry you're week is so rough!

Angelwithatwist said...

GRRR Who cares about his past. We are all human and have made major mistakes. The fact is in THIS moment he did the right thing. Perhaps when he was younger he was a little hot headed and the like. Something I am sure he has paid for and learned from. ok that rant over.. I made a huge post day before saying the CEO of A&F needed to meet more Charles Ramseys.. yes he does.

Beth W said...

This poor guy looks EXHAUSTED! And I cannot imagine that, thinking you know a neighbor and then finding out they're a predator. But thank heavens for the Charles Ramseys of the world, who reach out, who err on the side of their conscience, instead of feeling intimidated by the concept of overreacting.