Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Mulling over Wine Wednesday


It's Wine Wednesday again! This week I thought I'd have Jennifer over for dinner and try something new.

I've heard of Mulled Wine before, but I didn't really know what it was, so I investigated. I found several recipes on pinterest, but the one I decided to try was from Wine Intro.

Brown Sugar Mulled Wine

2 bottles Cabernet Sauvignon
Peel of 1 orange
1 Cinnamon Stick, broken in half
8 whole cloves
1 whole nutmeg
1/4 cup brown sugar

Pour wine into slow cooker. Wrap all other ingredients in a cheese cloth and add to slow cooker. Cook on high for 2 - 2.5 hours. Ladle and serve.


Now the grocery stores apparently believe that cheesecloth is a seasonal item, and it's not close enough to Christmas for them to have any. I didn't have time to go to Wal-Mart, so I opted to buy a fine mesh strainer. So I literally put everything in the crock pot on high . Then used the strainer as I ladled it into mugs.

It smelled great, as long as you like the smell of wine. It was very stout, but with a unique sweetness. I would call it a success as long as you're a fan of dry reds. I think I may try again with a slightly different spice combination and using a Pinot Noir or a Blend. I'm still sipping on it as I write this and it's definitely growing on me. It's cozy. I think once it's cooked down like this it's stronger though, I'm feeling awful sleepy!


Have you ever tried mulled wine? What did you think?

7 comments:

Sarah S. said...

Very Interesting! I just might have to try it.

Babes Mami said...

I like mulled cider but haven't found a wine I like! Oh and you can buy cheesecloth by the yard next time you are at the fabric store, I keep forgetting to do it myself each time I'm there haha

Jamie said...

OMG. Yum.

Unknown said...

I've been meaning to try mulled wine... thanks for sharing!

Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen said...

I bet that smells wonderful!

Amber K said...

Mulled wine is the best! I cannot wait for it to be cold enough to make it at home. It's still a little too warm here on the coast :)

Laura Darling said...

This sounds great! I love a good fall treat!