Sunday, August 10, 2014

Cork Magnets {DIY Project}

So while going through some of the boxes in storage I came across some of the corks I was stashing before the wedding. Our fridge really needed some good magnets so I thought this would be a good project to take on.


What you'll need:

A glass of wine, cutting board, wine corks, serrated knife, magnetic tape/small craft magnets, E6000 glue.


So tried out a few things with this craft. First I tried cutting my corks dry. It wasn't a disaster, just a little messy. There was a lot of cork dust. Also, be very mindful of your fingers. Corks aren't that big and knives are sharp.


Dry cutting caused a little unevenness that had to be cut away to adhere the magnetic tape. I tried soaking a few in water first and it did make a difference in the cutting so I recommend that for the real corks

Sidenote about synthetic corks: They cut VERY easily, so awesome on that point. However, the magnetic tape didn't want to stick. I already used E6000 on some of the small round magnets just to make sure they stuck, but you'll definitely need it if you're going to use synthetic corks.

This was actually a really easy, very quick, project. I will say the magnetic tape I bought isn't as strong as I would like so if I make more I will probably go buy some craft magnets from HL.

I have a few more ideas for the rest of my cork stash, but I'd love to hear yours? Have you ever done any wine cork projects?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

and the lingo can be a lot to take in. If you're lost, stop and ask questions. play bazaar

Play bazaar
satta king